Digital Crimes and the Cyber Crime Act
Table of Contents
- 1 Introduction
- 2 List of Cyber Crimes and Their Punishments in Pakistan
- 3 How to File a Complaint
- 3.1 Register Complaint against Cyber Crimes by filling form online:
- 3.2 Register Complaint against Cyber Crimes with Email:
- 3.3 Register Complaint against Cyber Crimes by writing hard-copy application:
- 3.4 Registering Complaint by Walking to NR3C Regional office:
- 3.5 NR3C LAHORE
- 3.6 NR3C KARACHI
- 3.7 NR3C PESHAWAR
- 3.8 NR3C RAWALPINDI
- 3.9 NR3C QUETTA
- 4 Should I Get my Complaint Registered?
Who would have thought that in the 21st century, law-enforcement agencies would have to deal with crimes that are committed using 1s and 0s. Yes, we are talking about cybercrime or a crime that involves the use of any computer or network in pursuance of an evil or malafide intention to bring harm to another person or cause them some sort of physical, emotional, or financial loss. This article refers to the cybercrime bill in Pakistan and highlights the ways the provisions of this act can be benefited from.
Pakistan Penal Code has already been in effect since long. It’s the branch of law that penalizes the offences committed by the citizens and ascertains the limitations for people within with they can behave with each other. However, since Pakistan has been late in technology adoption, offences relating to internet and the issues incidental to digital world were never covered in the penal code.
In 2016, the NA unanimously passed the Prevention of Electronic Crimes Bill (PECB) – the law which was meant to cover cybercrimes in Pakistan on a larger scale. This law is not limited to spamming or hacking only – though it amicably covers these aspects as well – but, it also has a strict control over the misuse of the internet, including fake profiles, online harassment etc.
Even though the relevant authorities are doing all it takes to create awareness amongst the people with regard to the understanding of the bill and how it can be put into force, most of the people don’t know what is cybercrime bill in Pakistan.
We have put together a list of crimes and the punishments therewith to sketch a basic understanding of what kind of offences are covered in this act.
List of Cyber Crimes and Their Punishments in Pakistan
The following is a comprehensive list of cybercrimes. The passage also explains about cybercrime punishment in Pakistan
- Spreading False Information about an Individual
- Creating/Spreading Explicit Images or Videos of an Individual
- Making/Spreading Explicit Images or Videos of Minor
- Child pornography
- Cyber stalking
- Hacking Email and Phone for Stalking
- Making Videos/Pictures and Distributing without Consent
- Cyber Stalking a Minor
- Hate speech
- Malicious Code
- Unauthorized Access to Information System or Data
- Unauthorized Copying or Transmission of Data
- Interference with information system or data
- Unauthorized copying or transmission of critical infrastructure data
- Interference with critical infrastructure information system or data
- Glorification of an offence
- Online Recruitment, Funding of Terrorism
- Electronic forgery
- Electronic forgery of Critical Infrastructure
- Electronic fraud
- Making, obtaining, or supplying device for use in offence
- Unauthorized use of identity information
- Unauthorized issuance of SIM cards
- Unauthorized interception
How to File a Complaint
All of the above mentioned offences are covered by the recently passed bill. It is advised that everyone should get themselves familiar with the rule of law so that they know how they can defend themselves in tricky situations.
The process of filing a complaint is easy and hassle-free. A complaint can be registered by using any one of the following methods:
Register Complaint against Cyber Crimes by filling form online:
- Go to this URL: http://www.nr3c.gov.pk/creport.php and submit your application online.
Register Complaint against Cyber Crimes with Email:
Write an application with all possible details and your complete credentials (Name, Address, CNIC, and Contact No.) and email it at: email@example.com
Register Complaint against Cyber Crimes by writing hard-copy application:
Write an application with all possible details and your complete credentials (Name, Address, CNIC, and Contact No.) and send the application to this address:
National Police Foundation Building,
2nd Floor, Mauve Area, G-10/4,
Registering Complaint by Walking to NR3C Regional office:
Visit any of the regional offices of NR3C and register your complaint in person. No appointment is necessary to visit the office.
Below are the contact details of regional offices:
4th Floor, FIA Building, 1st Temple Road,
PHONE +92 42 99203047 – 48
FAX +92 42 37323041
1st Floor, FIA Building (Near Darul Sehat Hospital),
Block 14, Gulistan-e-Johar
PHONE +92 21-99249650
FAX +92 21-99249651
PABAX +92 21-99249652
Opposite RMI Hospital, Phase-5,
PHONE +92 91 9217109
Al-Zahir Plaza, New Iqbal Town,
Express Way, Islamabad.
PHONE +92 51 2612280
NR3C/FIA, Bungalow No. 410/180 near City School Opposite Crescent Public School,
City School Road Jinnah Town
PHONE +92 81 2870057
Should I Get my Complaint Registered?
In Pakistan, the assumption with regard to legal processes is that it is time consuming and is not result oriented. However, this is not the case. Since its introduction in 2016, many cases have been registered relating to cybercrimes and the FIA has taken action on almost all cases. Since the verification of the evidence produced, tracking IDs and other related stuff take time, the whole process can take some time. However, the whole process has the court’s involvement to a large extent thus making it absolutely impossible for the culprit to go scot free.